Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Frederic Cossard, Bigotes 2012




What can I tell you? From the moment I opened this wine and sampled its subtle hint of lemon, limestone and vanilla I was under its spell. 

I can tell you I remember drinking it and loving it with each sip and each bite. I remember it was full-bodied and balanced with crisp acidity. At one moment, I would think it was lemony and in another I would pick up on the earthy vanilla base. It was all pure pleasure. 

It was a gift and since my only real impression was 'More!'... off  I went to the wine store to do just that, buy more. 

This is when I found out why the two women on the label seem to be in such shock! The price is over $50.00/btl. Not that it isn't worth it, however, for such an investment I would have liked to have shared it; especially, since it's a limited release and even so, a bit pricey for me to consider anything other than an indulgence.  

I now like to think of the 2 women on the label as me and, my friend, Sara (...without any connection to the provocative name of this far from offensive wine). Sara gave me the wine as a birthday gift. She is also a fan of natural wines.

Here's how I am choosing to see the label:  scene: two (open-minded & compassionate) old friends. Sara, in the pink hat, telling me what a special wine she thought the Bigotes is and hoping we can share it. Me, in the chic, orange kerchief, aghast, I already drank it and all alone! And, I enjoyed every sip. 

About this wine:

Frédéric Cossard has always wanted to become a winemaker. In 1996, he had the opportunity to get some small plots in Saint-Romain and Auxey-Duresses. The size of his domaine has regularly increased since then. He works in a very “eco-friendly” way, using no chemicals, fertilisers or pesticides. This simple “Bourgogne Chardonnay” is made out of a very small plot, planted with only chardonnay grapes located next to Puligny-Montrachet. It appears elegant, well balanced and quite fresh, like all the wines he produces. The nose consists of light citrus fruits and lemon aromas and a little bit of noble roasted oak.

https://www.wine-beast.com/frederic-cossard-bigotes-2011-0-75.html

6 comments:

  1. Definitely a wine to share! Do you know what Bigotes means in French? Not really Sara and you... Good to know you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the same in English! I def. need an editor. Thank you for pointing out this very important, but overlooked, detail. Obviously, I don't mean to imply we are two intolerant women! I think I may add a disclaimer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In French, Bigotes means extremely catholic, thinking everything religiously, boring, addicted to mass... An almost fully disappeared kind of women in France. Not the kind of person who enjoyes sharing a good wine, with a close friend or a lover, and smiling to life... Btw, Cossard means very lazy: Does not seem to me either. A very deceptive label!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deceptive indeed! I bought another bottle to make sure I didn't miss anything else! I wonder if Frederick is making a larger comment on the concept of 'labels'? Seems like even a conversation one could have over a glass of wine, while smiling at life, and your lover.

      Delete
  4. I must say I don't care enough about labels. They deserve a better attention. They say a lot about the wine makers. They deserve to be the subject of a conversation between the guys who share the content of the bottle. Especially if they are good friends, or lovers...

    ReplyDelete