Sunday, February 21, 2016

Punchdown ... Round 1.



Punchdown re-opened in its new space a few weeks ago and I stopped by to check it out. Here's a look at Round 1 of many purchases to come. 

But, before you go, ask yourself, do you want to fall in love? Because, if you're like me, you will. With everything DC & Lisa have thoughtfully sourced for the shop and with them. 

I have tried almost all of the wines in the picture above- because, well, it is research. And, I have to say, I can not wait for Round 2! 

Jolly Ferriol, Chardonnay is reductive, interesting, salty like the sea and left me feeling warm and glowing -- like the sun. It's way too good to be under $20. But, don't tell them! Just go buy whatever is left. 

Francois Saint Lo, Le Chenin de Vie, is a Chenin Blanc that makes me wish I could drink only this wine, always. It represents all the things I love about Chenin Blanc and natural wine. And, it reminds me of chance meetings and falling in love. I think it's a good sign.

Assenza Falanghini by Antica Masseria Venditti makes me proud to be Italian and feel lucky to be alive. It's a 0/0 sulfite wine without adding any yeast or enzymes. The label and bottle are bold and sturdy but the wine is delicate, slightly floral and beautifully balanced. I feel like it holds itself with dignity and I feel safe with it in my hand.

So, yeah, these are all knock-outs. But, the best part about Punchdown can't be bottled. It's so much the effervescence of Lisa and the earthiness of DC. They are very well-balanced. 

Feeling very lucky to have such a great natural wine shop and restaurant in my backyard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment